After 2020’s 50th anniversary festival was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic, many ticketholders had hoped that the rollout of the vaccine across the UK would mean next year’s event would be able to go ahead.
However, with the emergence of a new strain of coronavirus, the festival’s return seems less likely, with event organiser Eavis telling BBC News last week that they were “quite a long way” from being able to confirm whether Glastonbury 2021 would go ahead.
On Monday (21 December), Eavis responded to a fan on Twitter who tweeted: “I will only believe that @Glastonbury is cancelled next year if @emilyeavis rings me personally to tell me.
— DJ Cull (@TheDJCull) December 21, 2020
“Not cancelled yet!” she replied, adding in a second tweet that an official update would be given next year
Last week, Paul McCartney told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme that he suspected Glastonbury would not go ahead in 2021, having been booked to headline the festival in 2020 before it was cancelled.
“100,000 people, closely packed together with flags and no masks. Talk about super-spreader,” he said.